If you’d like to move more, get out and about, enjoy the outdoors, improve your mental health and wellbeing or make some new friends then why not try a Move activity or programme. Taking place across the County, there’s everything from a craft group and seated exercise class to swimming and an outdoor walk.
What Move is
We want to make sure that everyone, no matter what their circumstances, can move more as part of their everyday life. But with so many different options available, knowing where to start can be daunting. To help you get moving, we can offer a dedicated one to one support service which allows you to receive tailored advice on how to move more.
What Move activities and programmes we offer
- Move activities (arts and crafts): if you’d like to join a reading group or try and adult colouring session then why not try a Move activity
- Move activities (sport): Try one of our sporting activities to help you move more, we have walking football and netball sessions across County Durham
- Move classes: something a little gentle to get you moving – all classes are at a beginners level and you can take as many rests as you need
- Move cycling: we have ‘learn to ride’ classes to get you up and about on a bike
- Move running: we can help you get up and about running
- Move walking: we offer ways to get out and about the County through guided walks
Our Move Hub offers you the chance to start a fitness journey in a gentle way. Whether you are recovering from injury, wish to get in shape, improve mobility, tone up or improve strength we can help start you on a new path to improving your health and wellbeing.
Each Move Hub is filled with specialist power assisted equipment. This gives a helping hand, enabling you to exercise in a low impact way but still gives you a full body workout by moving around different equipment in a circuit. The Hub is also a social space, so as you work through a gentle workout, you’ll also get to chat and make friends.
The Hub is at Abbey Leisure Centre.
Phone: 03000 262 539
Thrive Move membership
If you would like to take part in a Move activity, like a class, running, walking or cycling sessions then you can apply for a free Move activities membership. Once you have your membership you can book activities online. Once you have signed up you can collect your card from your local leisure centre.
See our memberships for more information on using a Move Hub or Move activities.